Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Blocking out my halloween house

I finally got around to posting on the WoLD forums to enter myself into the challenge.

Having already cut down my aims and objectives for this project I thought with the limited amount of time that I have left that this would be acheivable (see my post on the WoLD forums).  But after reading a reply from someone I have decided to reign back totally on any scripting and focus on creating a really visually attractive environment. It's sad because I was really looking forward to creating all of those effects but thinking realistically I probably won't be able to get it all done before next Friday :(  But it's all good experience and I have learned from this that if I intend to make a map for a contest with a month's deadline don't start it halfway through the month.  I should have time to go back to this map early next year and start the kismet and matinee sequences to really bring the map to life so I am looking forward to this.  Luckily for me I am happy with the interior layout so all I'll have to do is the kismet and matinee work.  But now back to the present...

So today I added a basic terrain texture, a boundary for the map (which will act as the wall), reworked the roof (so it hangs over the edges of the walls to improve the shape) and added a basic brush for the roof windows.  I also added a skybox with a material as near to a blackened sky as I could get at the moment.  However, I will look into getting a better material this weekend.

So this is what I have so far...

The next time I open the editor I intend to try and get the materials for the walls of the building and roof applied.

1 comment:

  1. Layout looks good . interesting house design. cant wait to see it when its done :)