Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Halloween Postmortem

So last week Thursday I decided to draw a line under my halloween house and upload my final images for entry into the World Of Level Design challenge.  I can honestly say that every time I use Unreal tech I learn alot more. 


So for this quick post mortem I have to start by stating that I should have began this project at the beginning of October instead of at the end of it.  That way I would have at least been able to scratch half of the wonderful sctipts that I had to bring this building to life. But although I didn't get the inside of the house done, visually I'm extremely please with the way this has turned out. 
I also am extremely confident in importing models from Max into UDK after creating a great little pumpkin and created some of my own custom textures (ok, sourced from the internet but I did have to remember how to alter them in Photoshop and learn how to add them into UDK).

I am planning on re-visiting this project later next year to get the scripted sequences sorted and to also fix the following things: 

Sky materials
I couldn't work out how to apply a good dark, moon filled sky so I settled for inky black.  A great big bright moon would look brilliant so I do aim to get this done next time.

I wasn't happen about the lighting in the bottom part of the house.  This is because I do have a lot of open space within the house so I'll make sure that the rooms are closed of to restrict light leaking.

Model Creation
Despite the hair pulling and headache of it all I really did enjoy creating my pumpkin model and I think it would be fun to create some more reusable models for this building e.g. small round windows, large front doors, metal gates, internal doors and internal props.

I do have to mention this textures site that I did find later on in this project but was a great help with the amount of materials it has and they are all the correct size and offset correctly so all you need to do is save as a targa.  Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment