Any who...I guess I started this project a couple of months ago and so far I have completed the following:
- Layout of the menu flow and one game mode scene
- Input of letters and output of their corresponding value (once submit button is pressed)
- Submit button to clear array and output word score
- Delete button to clear array
- Store a list of "dummy" data a.k.a four letter words
- Player score incremented when the correct word is entered
I have also spent time this month documenting the game fully so that in the event that I need to convince anyone external to the project that it's awesome and they should support me financially I have this to whip out.
The design has changed since I started this project a number of times, but I feel that I finally have a good game designed and will not be making any more massive changes to the design only tweaks. I did initially want to use June to tidy up the code and improve the UI but as I still have a lot of the functionality unfinished there's no point in wasting time playing in Photoshop making designs for a game that's not nearly finished.
Once I have the word matching script sorted out that will be quite a significant part of the work done as it's the core functionality for all game modes. So then and only then will I get to add fantastic colours to my game, I'm hoping this will drive me forwards and act a reward for me.
With the release of Ice-cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) on Android and my phone contract coming up for renewal it's a great time for me to test whether my game will work on this new firmware update. So once I get my upgrade (when I decide on a phone) I'll be testing the game in both versions of Android.
Game-wise, I completed Mass Effect 3 and have now started Darksiders. This month I don't intend to get as much gaming done as work on my mobile game. This should ensure I haven't got the added pressure of having to do both and should let me work on the word matching functionality.
I've seriously failed on producing a game dissection of both ME3 and Blue Toad and I probably won't get it done this month either at least not early this month anyway. Luckily both of these are still fresh in my mind so I can write up something when I do have some spare time later this month.
So this month the plan is:
- More mobile game development with a hope to get the word matching complete, some output for the player when they enter a word, saving to their profile high score board and implementing a pause menu.
- Game: Darksiders
If anyone's got an Android phone and would be interested in helping me test my game once it's ready let me know :)